Tuesday, August 4, 2009

New developmental changes leads to sleeping problems

Since Tristan has learned to crawl and stand up last week, it has been a struggle to get him to lie down and go to sleep. He cries more and does not sleep as long anymore. As a result, he is a cranky baby most of the day. For the first time in at least 2 months, he woke up at 4:30AM last night and would not sleep again. We had to throw everything at him, including nursing, just so he would sleep another 30 minutes to a hour. All the sleep problems are compounded by the fact that he is teething too of course. Maybe I will give in and just give him some Tylenol. I'm starting to lose my patience :(

We're going to have to start to sleep train him again and let him cry even more, even if he stands while doing it. I'm so not looking forward to it. We already let him cry but not until he passes out. We usually abort after around 30 minutes of crying. In the past, it would normally just take him 2-3 minutes to fall asleep on his own. I'm stressing out because he is very clingy when he is tired. When will this phase pass?

2 comments:

Capital Mom said...

I am always nervous about commenting on sleep posts, but here I go anyway!
I love drugs. Any possibility of teething and I offer tylenol. I feel fine about it because my dentist was explaining exactly how much teething can hurt.
As for sleep, the best thing that worked for us was I stopped nursing at night and my husband had to get up with the baby. The baby cried for over an hour that first night, even though he was in dad's arms, but he didn't cry the next two nights. He was still up but my husband could settle him back to sleep. He sleeps great now. Except when he is sick. Everything gos out the window when he is sick.

Susan said...

In general, he sleeps well at night. It's the naps that are a bit of a challenge. Sleep is like a roller-coaster for him. The other day, it was perfect. The day before, it was the opposite.

Thanks for your comment :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails