Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Recap of our Thanksgiving weekend

We all headed to Victoria this Thanksgiving. We had a nice visit with family and friends and then we enjoyed a Chinese Thanksgiving dinner. It's probably my first non-traditional turkey dinner with the family. Normally, I do all the cooking but since we went over to Victoria and we were busy running around and taking care of Tristan, it would have been too much to cook all day as well. My parents roasted the turkey Chinese-style and it was served with chow mein. We also had olive bread and champagne. Hey, there is a first for everything, right :)

My contribution to the turkey dinner was the dessert. I prepared some crust from home, bought some pie pumpkins on our way into town from the ferries, and made a couple of delicious pumpkin pies. In the past I have always made pumpkin pie from canned pumpkin but now that I have done it with fresh pumpkin, I'm never going back. I also tried a new recipe which turned out a winner :) It was a big treat for Tristan and he of course, kept asking for more. I do have two small pumpkins left so I'll roast them later this week for more pumpkin pie. Yum!

We also visited my grandpa in the nursing home. He was so happy to see Tristan. I'm glad we brought him. Tristan called "grandpa" in Chinese and waved to him and grandpa's eyes lit up and his mouth opened. That is as responsive as I have ever seen him. It was great.

We also took a trip to Goldstream since we heard that there would be salmon there. Sadly, there was not a single fish :( I'm guessing we were too early this year. We did take a few pictures of all the nice autumn foliage though.

We stayed a day longer than we normally do in Victoria and we still weren't able to do everything we wanted to. We missed out on the shopping altogether. We wanted to check out their Walmart Super Center and the Uptown mall and walk downtown but never got the chance. Oh well. We could have stayed a few hours earlier but we were anxious to get home. When we are away from home, Tristan sleeps later and wakes up early and we all suffer a bit from it. Needless to say, we had to drink more coffee over this past weekend. It's so nice to be home!!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails